Friday, August 26, 2016

Spiffy Raglan Sweater Calculator - Updated!

I updated my Spiffy Raglan Sweater Calculator. A few errors were fixed, some areas were made clearer, and there is one neat new feature.


The calculator now has the ability to input custom V-neck depth. The number of increases and on which row is all figured out for you.

When you select V-neck as your neckline type, a box will appear where you enter your desired depth:


Once you input your measurements and your gauge, a finished V-Neck depth will appear below:


It will usually be slightly different than what you input as your target measurement due to rounding (for example, it is impossible to increase every 3.22 rows, so it will be rounded to every 3 rows). Play with you target depth to get the measurement closer to what you wish the final sweater to be.

If you want to read more about the calculator, go to my tutorial here. If you would like to download the Spiffy Raglan Sweater Calculator go here.

Note: If you have purchased the calculator in the past and would like the updated version, please contact me and I'll email it to you. :)

Friday, August 5, 2016

A Spiffy Baby Cardigan

I finally knitted something for my little guy. He has a ton of sweaters from his great-grandma, but I wanted to make him something, too. Also, knitting this cardigan gave me an opportunity to test out my Spiffy Raglan Sweater Calculator further.


To make this sweater, I used my baby's measurements and also measured a sweater that fits. This is what the measurements looked like in the calculator (he is bang on average for a 6 month old).


The finished sweater is adorable and perfectly matches the cardigan I was copying for size.


I used up some Rowan All Seasons Cotton that was sitting in my stash. I only had partial balls, so I went with stripes. If I was thinking ahead and not just rushing, I would have reviewed the total number of body rows and came up with a repeating pattern that worked a bit better. I had to stop one row short on the length because I would have had a single light blue line.


On the first sleeve (above), I remembered to use slipped stitches to make my stripes jogless while going in the round on the sleeves. But, I forgot to make sure I was wrapping yarns as I did my colour changes, which leads to small holes (see below).


At least I remembered for the second sleeve (below), which looks much better.


I did a seed stitch for the button band. I really like how it turned out and it lays flatter than a rib.



Overall, it was a great project for me to get back into knitting: simple and quick. Also, I found many ways I can improve my sweater calculator and there is one error I have to fix (gasp!). I hope to work on that during his naps and have the updated calculator up in a few weeks.