Friday, April 24, 2015

More Jacket Adventures

I'm working on another jacket - yes, another one! This time, it's for my husband. His favourite twill jacket is falling apart and so I'm doing my best to copy it.

I did a quick search for men's jacket patterns that were similar enough to his existing jacket and found nothing. So, I had to make a pattern by copying the jacket. I was able to trace and measure a lot of it on brown packing paper. However, the sleeves were much more difficult. What mostly worked for me was to pin Swedish tracing paper to the sleeve as best I could and then trace the seams.


It's been a lot of work to create a rub-off version of the existing jacket. It would have been easier if I could have cut up the existing jacket, but my hubby does not want to part with it (sigh...).

The acutal sewing has been a lot more fun. My hubby chose grey and orange cotton twill. I used orange on the side panels for some interesting contrast.

 
There's a lot more to do, but I'm making some good progress. I'm definitely using a lot of my skills from sewing previous jackets and shirts (since there is no lining) to put it all together.

Hopefully, I will finish it in a few days and will have some better pictures to share.


0 comments:

Post a Comment