Saturday, March 14, 2015

Spring Minoru Progress

I've been working away on a Minoru for spring. I wanted a jacket for spring and fall that was a bit warmer than my field jacket, cooler than my winter jacket, and with a better fit than my first Minoru jacket. I used my experience from my other Sewaholic patterns to alter the pattern for a better fit.

At first, I was planning to make a cotton twill jacket with some sort of plaid flannel lining. I bought my fabrics online, but then changed my mind. I wasn't that happy with the plaid, but I couldn't find anything nicer for the lining. I decided to use some of my Liberty lawn from my stash.


To make it warmer, I bought some thin batting and quilted it together. I then bought some navy lining fabric and basted that to the batting for the sleeves. I love how it looks so far.

I then cut out my cotton twill for the outer jacket. I had all my pieces cut out and was ready to add front pockets when I started to go "hmmm...". I picked up my lining and my outer jacket pieces and held them in my hands - I realized that it was going to be one heavy jacket.


I changed my mind and decided to find something lighter for the outer jacket material. So, I purchased some Supplex online and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I feel a bit silly for having spent money on twill and flannel and then using neither. But, at least I can use the twill pieces for bags and other small projects and the flannel can be pjs. If I'm going to make a new jacket, I want to actually wear it.

I just hope that I can finish this jacket before summer is here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment