Friday, October 17, 2014

My Easy Renfrew

I love knit tops and wanted to make another one for fall - something like the Sewaholic Renfrew, but more relaxed. Since I had already spent a lot of time getting the sleeves and armholes to look right on the Renfrew pattern, I decided to use it and make even more alterations!


Materials:
  • Plum Dakota Jersey (Rayon 95%, Spandex 5%)
  • Stay tape
  • Thread
The fabric is so soft and drapey! I love how comfortable it feels. 

Pattern 

Sewaholic Renfrew

I used the same fitting alterations from my second Renfrew. There are still a few wrinkles that come from the armholes and stick out towards the bust, but they are minimal compared to my first Renfrew.

I tried the V-neck version for the first time. I turned out ok, but I definitely need more practice. It looks a little off-centre and a bit more U shaped than V shaped.



Style Alteration

My biggest alteration was adding ease in the shirt. I wanted a nice flowy top that I could wear to work, but still feel comfortable in. I borrowed some ideas from drafting my Easy T, and created my Easy Renfrew.

I graded the side of the pattern pieces adding an extra 1.5" of ease near the bottom and starting at the original seam about 2" below the armhole. Overall, this added about 6" of ease near the hips and about 2" near the waist. I outlined the original pattern in blue in the picture below, so you can see what I added.


I also added 2.5" at the bottom of the shirt, omitted the bottom band, and created a curved hem. To create a curved hem, I had to make a 1.5" wide facing that matched the bottom of the shirt. The jersey would not sew a nice and flat hem otherwise.


The curved hem was a lot of work and is too subtle. I think I won't bother doing it again in the future and just go with a straight hem. I do love how long it is in the back - I have good coverage when I sit down or bend over.




Overall, I really like my new shirt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment