Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Simplicity 1819 Part 6

I'm finished Simplicity 1819 for my sister! I'm going to break it up into a few posts, since I have quite a bit of notes and photos. So, here is the corset when it was almost finished.


Tartan Side
With a bit of patience, I was able to do a decent job lining up the tartan stripes. As mentioned in a previous post, it was decided to mirror the tartan, since it is unbalanced.

The Dark Side!
I'm really happy with how the other side of the corset turned out. I made the corset reversible simply by skipping the underflap.


The material is embossed with leaves. I actually reused what might be called a 'granny shirt' for the materials (no offence grannies out there, you just might not see someone under the age of 60 wear such a shirt).

Again, I used plastic zip ties for the boning. It worked very well. It's easy to use and probably more comfortable to wear than metal boning. My sister tried it on and it fit perfectly, yay!

Here is the finished corset with grommets and cording. I chose antiqued brass grommets to go with the other accessories my sister has for her costume.


So, that's it for the corset. More photos and notes on Simplicity 1819 aka. Steampunk Costume Extraordinaire for Sister coming soon.

3 comments: