Update: You can see everyone else's Black and White Challenge projects here at Diane's Vintage Zest.
The big unveiling and my notes are after the jump...
I think it has turned out very well. I wanted to try something with some collar detail and this pattern has it in spades.
- Stretch Cotton: $16
- Interfacing (already had): $0
- Buttons (from old shirts): $3.30
- Pattern (already had): $0
BurdaStyle Ute (6020)
In the beginging, I had thought of doing the peter pan collar in all black, but I think that would be too much. So, I decided to do piping instead. It highlights the details of the shirt without being too much.
I made a size 36 on top and a size 38 on the bottom. I made many of the same types of alterations from my first Ute. And there are a few other changes I mention in my Ute Sew-along.
What I Learned
One thing I learned is that I don't like (and my sewing machine doesn't like) sewing with this stretch cotton. There were many times when my machine just started skipping stitches. It definitely made the whole process a lot longer.
The fabric also wrinkles quite a bit when wearing it. Overall, it does not feel quite as fancy as I hoped. Maybe I should try high quality shirting fabric next.
A dressform would have made the process a lot quicker as well. It's hard to make something fitted when you are wearing it.
I made this shirt a light colour because I realized I didn't have a lot of light colour shirts in my wardrobe. But now that I see me wearing it, I remember why I don't. I'm average height, but when I wear something light on top with dark pants, I look short and stumpy. This shirt would probably look better if I wear a skirt or shorts and/or lighter colours underneath.
Here is the shirt with black pants: